Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Red Lentil Coconut Soup

I would give proper credit for this soup if I could, because it is so awesome. I got it from a long-ago Internet friend who vanished; she might have gotten it from Weight Watchers, but I really don't know. Here is my take.

2 Tbs vegetable oil
2 medium onions, chopped (2 cups)

garlic to your threshold. I always at least double the garlic, so I am not a reliable guide.
1 inch piece fresh ginger, minced (or a squeeze from the fabulous tube of minced garlic I scored at the local Wally World. I know it sounds awful, but I hate grating ginger, and any ginger root of size will go furry in my fridge.)
1 Tbs curry powder, preferably hot

1 cup red lentils
3 medium carrots, peeled and roughly chopped (1 cup)
14-oz. can light coconut milk (or regular)


1/4 cup minced cilantro
 
Heat 2Tbs oil over medium heat. Add onions, and cook, stirring often, until onions start to brown, about 10 minutes. Add ginger, garlic, and curry powder and stir for 30 seconds.  Add 4 cups water, lentils, carrots, and coconut milk. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer. partially covered, until lentils are tender, about 20 minutes.


In food processor or blender, puree soup in batches until smooth. Taste, and add more salt if desired. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment