Thursday, April 25, 2013

Why bother with thrift? There's more reasons than saving money.

One of the things I fucking hate about talking about this shit is when someone who is making a decent salary and so on looks at me like I have three eyes and says "well, I can buy it."

Yes, yes you can.  BUT.   I've found over time there's a bunch of reasons to make your own cleaners and laundry detergent and etc, given that cheaper is cheaper.

Convenience:   With about ten basic ingredients, I can make any cleaner I might need in my house at any time.  There is no "I can't do laundry until I get to the supermarket and get laundry detergent"-- I can make a 5 gallon bucket,  and even then it takes me less than half an hour to make the stuff.  I live in the boonies.  NOT driving 20 minutes to a store is a big savings in my time.

Hypoallergenic:   My husband is allergic to the planet.  Often the cheaper alternative is also the one less likely to make him bitch itch.

Works better:  Yup.  It does.

Theoretically, money for other things:   I'll let you know when I get there.  But in the meantime we can at least eat.

Creativity:  Since taking on a thrifty lifestyle, I never look at what something is.  I look at what it could be.  If the coffee table doesn't work as a coffee table, it could be a bench.  Or a lift to get something off a wet basement floor.  A dress is not a dress, it's a potential skirt and top.   It really has changed my thinking.

--Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment